Walter S. Barr Scholarship for Students in College
Barr Scholarships are also available to students currently attending college. Second and third year students often require a greater degree of financial assistance than do first year students. Therefore, the Fund offers scholarships to college students resident in Hampden County (MA) who are graduates of Hampden County secondary schools. Awards will be made on the basis of all available information, including school records, recommendations and examination scores. Consideration will be given to both the merit and financial need of the applicant.
Instructions for Walter S. Barr Scholarship Applicants Currently in College and Their Parents
- Complete and submit the scholarship application online or by mail to The Horace Smith Fund, 1441 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01103.
- Three persons, not relatives, should complete reference forms for you. At least two references should be a high school guidance counselor or teacher, who is familiar with your ability and potential. Completed reference forms can be submitted on-line or mailed to The Horace Smith Fund at the address above.
- The confidential financial statement must be completed by the applicant’s parents. Completed financial statement form can be submitted on-line or mailed to The Horace Smith Fund at the address above. Or the applicant may instead submit a copy of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The applicant is responsible for having a high school transcript, with SAT scores noted on it, and most recent college transcripts mailed to:
1441 Main Street, Springfield, MA 01103
Telephone (413) 739-4222 ~ FAX (413) 739-1108
- We request that you also send us a copy of your most recent MCAS test report and ACT assessment student report.
- Completed application, letters of reference and parents financial statement must be received in the Horace Smith Fund office no later than March 1st.
NOTE: To view and print the downloaded application form, you will need a PDF viewer if you don’t already have one. Click the icon below to download the free Adobe® Reader®
Printable Instructions Sheet
Hard copy applications are available at the Horace Smith Fund office and at the financial aid offices of several local colleges after September 15th.